A Liberty-print Quilted Bomber Jacket

Bomber jacket

This post has been a long time coming… but here I am – FINALLY showing you all my most challenging piece yet!  And I’m so proud of the result.  I hope you like it too!

My brother and I had a little jaunt up at the woods with the dog to take these photos.  We decided it would be a lovely spot to get some shots of the gorgeous thick carpet of bluebells.  It was such a fun afternoon!  Credit to Ed Newman for these photos 🙂

Bomber jacket

Anyway, back to the jacket.  The pattern I used here is Papercut Rigel Bomber Jacket, bought from Backstitch.  I was firstly inspired to create this jacket after seeing this post on The Liberty Craft Blog, by The New Craft Society.  I fell in love with it instantly!

Bomber jacket

My next step was to find the perfect Liberty print for making my very own version of this jacket.  I stopped by the Liberty haberdashery on a trip to London, and perused their gorgeous selection of fabrics.  It was very hard to choose – and I knew I wanted it to be a dark rich colour.  I came across this stunner!  A lovely lady served me in Liberty, and I promised to come back and show her what I made – though I’ve forgotten her name now…  doh.

Bomber jacket

So I had the main fabric for the shell of the jacket – next I had to pick up the other bits and pieces required.  This included:

 

I had to learn how to quilt the main fabric for the shell, as I had never done this before.  I basically used YouTube to search videos of this.  I absolutely love YouTube!  Whenever I come across a new technique, I always search for a video to watch someone else demonstrating it.

Bomber jacket

I treated myself to a posh walking foot for my Janome sewing machine – because I knew I wanted to give other quilted projects a go – so suspected that it would be a good investment.

For the quilting, I used a spray adhesive between the wadding and the shell fabric. I would definitely recommend using this!  It really helped, as it held the two layers together for quilting – without the need for bulky pins.

I really enjoyed my first venture into quilting – and I was so pleased the the results.

Bomber jacket

The only difficulty I had with this pattern was creating the lining.  I am surprised that this was not covered by the pattern, as otherwise you end up seeing all of the inside when the jacket is worn open.  It didn’t matter – I managed to get it to fit eventually!

Bomber jacket

I love a jazzy lining in a jacket – so it was important to me to get that detail just perfect.  Although I ended up going for a plain, more subtle coloured lining fabric – this was to let the gorgeous Liberty print do the talking.

Bomber jacket

Another tough challenge on the jacket was inserting the welt pockets – another first for me. I just took it slow, step-by-step, and it worked brilliant in the end.  Another technique down for me!

Bomber jacket

Anyway, I’d love to hear what you all think of this jacket – please feel free to leave me a comment below.

TTFN!!

xxx

1 Comment

  1. by ooobop! on June 9, 2015  8:18 am Reply

    Fabulous jacket and such lovely photos too :-)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.