• A Maternity Staple - Megan Nielsen Erin Skirt

  • My first make of 2017! Yippee.

    I realise this isn’t exactly the most exciting make to be showing you all, but it wins points for being a top maternity wardrobe staple with an exceptional fit – just what I need right now!

    I figured it was high time that I tried out the Megan Nielsen maternity patterns – so kicked things off with the Erin maternity skirt. I bought the pattern as PDF from the Megan Nielsen website – and also bought the Cara maternity top (to be made soon!). There were literally just 2 pattern pieces for the skirt (well, 3 if you make the frilly version), couldn’t be more simple.

    I just used a plain black jersey from Backstitch which was more medium than lightweight. It wasn’t too expensive either 🙂 It did cross my mind that plain black might be a bit boring, but I wanted to make this skirt as a staple for my maternity wardrobe – something that can be dressed up or down, or worn for work or going out.

    Making the skirt was super quick and easy – especially with the help of my trusty overlocker! All in all it took me about 2/3 hrs to make this. So it was a nice quick-sew project to get my new year sewing started.

    I would like to make another one of these, perhaps in a more interesting/patterned fabric… but in all honesty… time is running out. Keep an eye on the blog as I rattle out some final maternity clothes before I go pop!

    Pattern: Erin Maternity Skirt by Megan Nielsen

    Fabric: Plain Black Ponte Roma Jersey from Backstitch

    Size made: Small

    Alterations made: None!

  • A Houndstooth Moneta, Maternity Style!

  • I’ve finally hopped aboard the Moneta bandwagon! I think everyone else in the whole world has made one of these… and finally I can be added to that list.

    The Moneta seemed a perfect choice for adapting into a maternity dress. It uses knit fabric (tick), has a big swishy skirt (tick), and covers my modesty (tick tick tick!). All I really needed to do was raise the waistline a bit higher, so that it sits above my bump. I think I could have even taken it up another inch or so still, but I’m really happy with this result.

    The fabric was lovely to work with. It’s quite a medium weight jersey with a nice drape. I picked this up when I visited the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace, from the Sew Over It stand. I love houndstooth pattern! It is kind of printed onto this fabric, so from the wrong side you can’t see any of the pattern at all. This gave me a moment of head-stratching before I was about to cut the pattern pieces out, as I didn’t want to end up cutting out on the wonk. I ended up cutting out from the front of the fabric to make sure I was keeping nice and straight. It just meant flipping pattern pieces over to cut them the right way round.

    I then had the joy of my very first shirring experience with clear elastic. I say joy, but actually mean punch-up! My first attempt didn’t go so great. I had such uneven gathering. I unpicked all of that and on my second try it turned out a lot better (not perfect, but much better). It just takes a bit of a knack for feeding it through the machine at an even tension for the whole way round the waistband of the skirt, plus keeping the elastic on the straight and narrow.

    I did want to add pockets to the dress too, but ran out of time as I rushed this through before heading down to Shoreditch to attend the launch party for the fabulous Suzy Magazine. I had such a great time, and talked until my voice stopped working! But that’s another story 🙂

    Then I also had my first attempt at twin needle stitching. All I can say is ohhhhhhhhhh. Got on really well with this technique!

    I love the Moneta and will definitely be trying to make another maternity version before I pop. It’s so comfy and easy to throw on. And I’m also looking forward to making a normal Moneta post-preggo… hopefully when I have a waist again!

    Pattern: Moneta Dress (version 3) by Colette Patterns

    Fabric: Houndstooth Jersey from Sew Over It

    Size made: Medium

    Alterations made: Bodice shortened by 2″, skirt shortened by 2″ overall

  • Guise Pants Review for Sewing World Magazine

  • img_0951Guys, I made my first ever pair of trousers! I had a blast working with Sewing World Magazine and Backstitch, reviewing Papercut Patterns’ Guise Pants. My full review can be found in December’s Sewing World Magazine, which can be purchased here.

    Not going to lie, I was a bit scared of tackling trousers, as mostly my sewing experience had been in making dresses, tops and jackets. It was high time I gave trousers a stab, so was thrilled to work on this project.

    The fabric from Backstitch, a charcoal-coloured cotton suiting, was very well behaved. This helped as I was so nervous to get these trousers absolutely spot-on perfect – it would have been my worst nightmare if I had a tricky fabric to work with!

    I had to tackle making a fly, welt pockets and the waistband with belt loops.  All went so well – and I felt all proud and good about myself to see the end product.

    The sizing came up quite big on these, so for future I would make a size smaller, as it’s hard to take in at the side seams after finishing the pockets, so would have been best if I had just chosen a size down. Having said this, I did make these during early pregnancy… after I’ve had the baby I will probably be saying the complete opposite!

    My favourite element of this make is the fun pop of colour in the pockets. Gives the make a bit of character I think 🙂

    Pattern: Papercut Patterns Guise Pants

    Fabric: Backstitch

    Thanks so much to the chaps at Sewing World Magazine for asking me to work on this project – it was great fun working with you!

    2016 CS logo (outline text)

    img_0922img_0965img_1001