Being a Tilly and the Buttons super fan, I even surprised myself for taking this long to try a Coco dress! I might be heavily pregnant, but thought I’d make one now just for fun, to see if it would work.
I just decided to just try making a larger size than I normally would, with no fancy maternity alterations. Then crossed my fingers and hoped for the best!
I had been eyeing up this fabric from Backstitch for ages. So when I popped into the shop over Christmas I decided to finally treat myself. I figured this would be ideal for a Coco – a nice medium weight without too much stretch.
I loved how quick and easy this was to make – especially with the help of my trusty overlocker. I really wan’t sure if this would work as a maternity dress, so I was a little nervous to try this on when I finished. Very luckily, I think I I pulled it off!
It fits over bump, but not too tight – this was the thing I was most worried about. When I make this again, I think I’ll try shorter sleeves to give it a bit more of a cute, girly look.
The only area I think that could have been improved is the neckline, which gaped slightly. But I have this problem with most patterns. I nearly made the adjustment before cutting, but thought that I might be a bit bigger all over at the minute (definitely am!), and would rather make too big than too small. Never mind – I’ll adjust for my next Coco!
I wish I’d tried this pattern sooner, as it really is a fab dress. I think it *just* works for my stage of pregnancy, but would have been perfect for a bit earlier on – and obviously stunning without a bump too.
This make is going to be perfect for seeing out the rest of pregnancy in the colder months. Just add tights! Oh, and gold brogues. Standard.
Pattern: Coco Dress by Tilly and the Buttons
Fabric: Ponte Roma Jersey from Backstitch
Size made: 4
Alterations made: None!
Alterations for the next Coco: Narrow shoulders/neckline
My first make of 2017! Yippee.
I realise this isn’t exactly the most exciting make to be showing you all, but it wins points for being a top maternity wardrobe staple with an exceptional fit – just what I need right now!
I figured it was high time that I tried out the Megan Nielsen maternity patterns – so kicked things off with the Erin maternity skirt. I bought the pattern as PDF from the Megan Nielsen website – and also bought the Cara maternity top (to be made soon!). There were literally just 2 pattern pieces for the skirt (well, 3 if you make the frilly version), couldn’t be more simple.
I just used a plain black jersey from Backstitch which was more medium than lightweight. It wasn’t too expensive either 🙂 It did cross my mind that plain black might be a bit boring, but I wanted to make this skirt as a staple for my maternity wardrobe – something that can be dressed up or down, or worn for work or going out.
Making the skirt was super quick and easy – especially with the help of my trusty overlocker! All in all it took me about 2/3 hrs to make this. So it was a nice quick-sew project to get my new year sewing started.
I would like to make another one of these, perhaps in a more interesting/patterned fabric… but in all honesty… time is running out. Keep an eye on the blog as I rattle out some final maternity clothes before I go pop!
Pattern: Erin Maternity Skirt by Megan Nielsen
Fabric: Plain Black Ponte Roma Jersey from Backstitch
Size made: Small
Alterations made: None!